While summer is perhaps the most popular time for people to move, as it offers a higher likelihood of no rain and good weather, many people prefer to do their moving in the fall, when the weather is slightly cooler. Of course, moving during the fall months comes with its own set of challenges here in the Twin Cities, which you should be prepared for.
With that in mind, here are a few fall moving tips from our residential movers in Minneapolis:
- Prepare for rain: October and November are much rainier months than June thru September, so it’s important to plan ahead. This fall alone we’ve already received a significant amount of rain, which should give you a good idea as to the kind of weather you should be prepared to have on your moving day. Whenever possible, you should attempt to move your furniture and boxes in vans and trucks with closed tops, rather than open-air beds or trailers. If you are stuck using these open-air trailers, make sure you have plenty of tarps to cover up your possessions. Consider also opting for materials other than cardboard for your boxes—plastic containers, for instance, will not get saturated with water. Other items might need to be wrapped in plastic.
- Wear appropriate footwear: Whenever you are planning on moving furniture and boxes for long periods of time, it’s important to make sure you are wearing appropriate footwear. This is especially true in the autumn, when there’s a greater potential for colder weather and wet surfaces. Wear closed-toe boots and shoes that you are not afraid to get dirty and break in. Make sure your footwear is water resistant.
- Be aware of leaves: Falling leaves tend to get everywhere during the autumn months, and that means they could easily become mixed in with all of the items you’re moving. Again, having everything you’re moving covered serves not only to protect your possessions from potential rain, but also from the unending supply of fallen leaves you’ll come across during your move.
- Plan ahead: If you’re hiring movers to assist you, make sure you have reserved their services well in advance. Once you’ve arrived at your new home, make sure you lay down mats or protective surfaces to prevent movers from tracking in mud and leaves all over your floors and carpets.
- Pack smart: If you have certain high-priority items that you know you’re going to need right away, make sure you pack them in a way that makes them easy to find and get to. This is especially true for raincoats, boots, rakes and other items you’re going to make quick use of during the fall.
These are just a few simple fall moving tips from our residential movers in Minneapolis. For more information about the services we provide, or to schedule your move with the help of our laborers, we encourage you to contact us today at Ruth Movers, Inc. We look forward to speaking with you!